Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
This kid-friendly vegetarian recipe for sweet potato chili comes together in about 30 minutes.
Full of good-for-you ingredients you probably have in your pantry, all four of my kids loved this sweet potato chili with a dollop of sour cream plus a little cheese on top.
Our version isn’t spicy so if you want more kick, try adding jalapeño slices to individual portions.
We have other chili recipes including Slow Cooker Chicken Chili and Jimmy Fallon’s Chili and even our Chili-Roni (which combines zesty chili with creamy mac and cheese) but I love our newest Sweet Potato Chili for feeding family a hearty vegetarian meal without missing a thing.
Fast Sweet Potato Chili
This recipe freezes beautifully! Double it to store an extra meal for another day.
FOR THE CHILI
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced (no need to peel)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of black, kidney or white beans, rinsed
- Fresh lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Use a large pot or Dutch oven to heat olive oil over low heat. Add sweet potato and onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Keep stirring for about 30 seconds while the spices heat up.
- Add water, beans and tomatoes. Stir again. Turn heat to high and bring to a simmer. When the pot starts bubbling, reduce heat to low and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir every few minutes to avoid burning on the bottom.
Serve with sour cream, cheese, fresh cilantro and limes or jalepeño slices.
What goes with sweet potato chili?
Healthier Honey Whole-Wheat Cornbread
Extra-Hearty Corn Bread Muffins
Super Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double Chocolate Avocado Cookies