Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
Our newest version of macaroni and cheese adds the flavor of tacos and does it all in one pan. That’s one-pot taco mac and cheese!
You won’t believe the secret ingredient that turns regular mac and cheese into this taco-flavored favorite…salsa.
What you need to make taco mac & cheese
- taco filling (ground beef, ground chicken or turkey, veggie crumbles, mushrooms, etc.)
- salsa (we use mild)
- cheddar cheese
- chicken stock
That’s it! This magical combination of ingredients produces the tastiest meal we’ve had all week. The one my kids can’t wait to eat again for lunch.
One-Pot Taco Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound ground beef, chicken, turkey or veggie crumbles (I use half ground beef, half chopped mushrooms)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound pasta, any shape
- 16 ounce jar of salsa (any kind, any spice level your family likes)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro as a garnish, optional
- In a large stock pot or extra-large skillet, saute ground beef (or whatever you’re using) plus the diced onion until browned.
- Add pasta, salsa and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer with a lid partially on.
- Cook for about 12 minutes, until the pasta has soaked up most of the liquid.
- Turn off the heat. Add cheese and stir while it melts.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with cilantro if using.
What goes well with One-Pot Taco Mac & Cheese?
Any bagged salad is perfect with a dish like this one! Or, one of our favorite salads here:
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Kale Salad with Maple-Balsamic Dressing
- Cheery Cherry Tomato Salad with Basil