These adorable cheese-filled shamrocks start with our super simple bread dough recipe, with three quick additions:
- Parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese sticks
They’re a perfect idea for St. Patrick’s Day food, either in lunchboxes or serving a crowd.
How to make cheese-filled shamrocks
Prep the spinach & Parmesan
- Cook 1/2 cup frozen spinach (or fresh) in a microwave safe container, 30 seconds at a time for about 1 minute 30 seconds. You want 1/2 cup AFTER cooking, so add accordingly.
- Combine with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Blitz in a blender or food processor. (I use my mini string food processor and it works well!)
Prep the mozzarella cheese filling
- Open 2 string cheeses and slice into 5-6 pieces each.
Prep the bread dough
- Use our recipe for Easy Homemade Bread.
- Add the spinach and Parmesan mixture to the flour in the first step.
- Add a 1/4 cup extra flour to offset moisture.
- Then proceed with the recipe.
- Just before baking, cut your dough into 8 pieces. You will have 8 shamrocks.
- Cut each of those pieces into 5 sections: 4 large (leaves) and 1 small (stem).
- Roll out each section. Place a piece of mozzarella cheese inside each section, then cover and roll so no cheese is exposed.
- Place all 4 circles close together on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Roll the 5th piece of dough into a stem and nestle behind the 4 circles.
- Squeeze the middles of the leaves together.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
Serve plain, with marinara sauce or pesto.
More Fun St. Patrick’s Day Foods for Kids
From mini open-faced Reubens to cheesy broccoli patties and more, fun St. Patrick’s day food for kids starts here!