Jump to Recipe·Print Recipe
These whole-wheat mini tomato galettes are a delicious lunch kids absolutely love.
With a whole-wheat crust that comes together quick (and freezes like a dream) you can fill them with any combination of:
- fresh cherry tomatoes
- cheese (cheddar, goat, feta)
- sweet corn
- beans (white beans or chick peas)
This delicious lunch (or light dinner) is a cross between two of our favorites: Shortcut Mini Tomato Pies and Potato Galette with Feta, Corn and Dill. Both are so good, and thumbs up material.
How to Make Whole-Wheat Mini Tomato Galettes
Roll out the dough. No time/energy/sanity to whip up dough from scratch? Use dough from the store. It’s just as tasty, every single time.
I use a wedge of cheese to measure the inside of each galette. This is about 3/4 of a slice.
Fold up the edges.
Mini Whole-Wheat Tomato Galettes
This recipe makes 4 galettes that are very filling for kids or adults.
2 pie crusts (use half a pie crust for each galette)
To make pie crust:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), cut into 16 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2–3 tablespoons buttermilk
For the filling:
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cream or 1 egg, whisked
Make the crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, flours and salt. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to combine the butter with the flour. Alternatively, use a food processor or even a standing mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Once the flour mixture looks like very coarse sand, add the buttermilk a little drizzle at a time.
- Mix until the dough makes a ball.
- Chill the dough for at least 20 minutes.
Assemble the galettes:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sprinkle a little flour on a clean surface. Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. (OR roll out four pieces separately.)
- Layer each galette with cheese, beans, corn cheese and tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the edges of the galettes. Brush only the edges with cream or a whisked egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the crust feels firm and golden brown on the edges.
Our whole-wheat mini tomato galettes go well with easy sides, like:
- Personal Veggie Cups with Dip
- Green Apple Turtles
- Or even a 3-Dip Taste Test for Baby Carrots!
I love this whole-wheat crust but if you want a basic crust recipe, you can’t beat Sally’s Baking Addiction or Ina Garten’s Perfect Pie Crust.